The Stock Market Experience (SME) is a FREE, robust online, real-time investment simulation program that teaches students about personal financial literacy and economics. The SME utilizes user- friendly technology that can be accessed anywhere at any time. Student teams invest a virtual $100,000 in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, equities, and options on worldwide markets.
New This Year
Mentored Investment Challenge
Student teams will be paired with a financial professional who will act as their investment mentor. The top three performing teams and their teachers in two age divisions will be awarded cash prizes. See Mentored Investment Challenge page for more information and to register your team.
New Prizes for Teachers
The teachers of the top 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place State winners in each of the three age divisions will also be awarded CASH prizes. (Not to exceed $100.00 per teacher).
Stock Stars Update
Stock Stars is going away but stay tuned for new and exciting ways that your students will be recognized!
Best Part, It's FREE
The Stock Market Experience is provided free of charge to Colorado teachers and students through the generous support from our program sponsors! There is no limit on the number of teams, and teachers may register for more than one session throughout the school year.
FREE Teacher Training
We provide both on-site and webinar trainings to fit your schedule. The training sessions provide a look the SME program, demonstrations of the website's key operational features, and an overview of available curriculum resources and lesson plans.
Highest Earning Portfolios
Student teams that place first, second or third overall in the state in their age division will win cash awards as specified below. Place-winners are determined by the highest return-on-investment percentage at the close of business on the last day of the competition.
First Place Overall in each of the five geographic regions will receive $50 for a Classroom Celebration.
Winning teams will be recognized at the Annual SME Awards Ceremony Friday May 11 at the History Colorado Center.
- Highly engaging and competitive.
- Cash prizes and recognition at the Annual Awards Ceremony for both students and teachers.
- Incorporates math, reading, writing, and technology skills into the curriculum.
- Helps students understand how our economic system works.
- Students develop important real world skills including oral, written, and digital communication, leadership, professionalism, innovative and entrepreneurial thinking.
- Teacher training, lesson plans, e-subscriptions to the Denver Post and other Colorado news publication, and multiple support resources at your fingertips.
- No investment experience required.